News Highlights about Ukraine
- Ukrainian journalist Maks Levin ‘executed in cold blood,’ report says
- Putin’s invasion of Ukraine is effectively ‘demodernising’ Russia. Military victories for Moscow will make it inordinately harder for more democratic-minded, if not pro-Western, successors to restore Russia to the international community.
- Exclusive RSF investigation into the death of Maks Levin: “Information and evidence collected indicates this Ukrainian journalist was executed.”
- Fighting continues in Severdonetsk, where Ukrainian forces claim to have recaptured the southern suburb of Sirotyne.
- After weeks of ferocious fighting, Ukrainian forces will retreat from a besieged city in the country’s east to avoid encirclement, a regional governor said Friday.
- Ukraine signalled on Friday its troops were withdrawing from the city of Sievierodonetsk, the scene of weeks of intense bombardments and street fighting, in a move that would be a significant setback in its struggle to defeat Russian forces.
- EU candidates “have to do homework” before moving to the next stage, commission president says