Latest News from the War in Ukraine
- A non-partisan research think tank that reports to the United States Congress released a report detailing Russian military and intelligence failures in the ongoing war in Ukraine. One factor has been especially impactful in Russian failures in Ukraine: logistics. Without enough bullets, beans, and bandages in the right place at the right time, the Russian war machine has been unable to advance on the battlefield efficiently.
- When Russia built up its forces in Ukraine in early 2022, while at the same time claiming that they had no intention of invading, we were a bit sceptical. At Bellingcat, we are intimately familiar with the approach that the Russian government takes to these kinds of events. Sure enough, in the run up to the invasion, the Russian state attempted to generate a narrative that the ‘Neo-Nazi’ Ukrainians were staging a huge build-up in the Donbass with the intent of invading separatist-held areas.
- North Korea said it has never supplied weapons or ammunition to Russia and has no plans to do so, while warning the US to “keep its mouth shut” and stop circulating rumors aimed at “tarnishing” the country’s image, Reuters reports.
- Alla Pugacheva, the Soviet pop queen, has condemned President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine. She said that it was killing soldiers for illusory aims and burdening ordinary people, making Russia a global pariah.
- The mass conscription may be the riskiest domestic move of Putin’s two decades in power, after Kremlin promises it would not happen and a string of battlefield failures in Ukraine.